If you are suffering with receding gums (when the tissue of the gum around the teeth corrodes and it looks like your gums have receded backwards) take heart, there is holistic hope for you! Even though receding gums are the perfect place for bacteria growth, by including some of these simple treatments, you can regrow your gums and cut down on pain and infection.
The issue is more common than you might know and most who suffer don’t notice the problem right away. However, there are signs and symptoms to look for, tooth pain and sensitivity being the most common (you may also notice your teeth look larger than they did before). The causes of recession are many: periodontal disease (bacterial infections in the gums), bad oral hygiene, brushing too hard, hormone imbalance, smoking, grinding your teeth and even piercing your tongue. If you think you may have receding gums, check with your doctor as the problem may be quite serious. However, if your gums aren’t too far gone, check out the following suggestions listed below.
A summary from the article:
- “One of the antioxidants in green tea is catechins and it helps in destroying any periodontal disease. This antioxidant can strengthen the connection between the gums and teeth. Its anti-inflammatory properties will lower the swelling of the gums that cause oral diseases.
- Aloe vera will fight against inflammation and will turn on the cells which are very important for repairing of the tissues. It will prevent other infections, due to its antibacterial properties. Use the gel from aloe vera like mouthwash and for brushing.
- Oil pulling with sesame oil has many health benefits and anti-inflammatory properties. It can reduce plague buildups and destroy the toxins in your mouth. The sesame oil will form a protective layer over your teeth and it will reduce the chances of plague building. Take sesame oil and warm it up. Then brush your teeth and take sesame oil in your mouth. Gargle it and swirl it around your mouth. Do this for a few minutes. If you are not familiar with this process you can start with 30 seconds to 1 minute and once you get used to the procedure increase the time. The goal is 15 to 20 minutes. You can also use coconut oil for oil pulling. The coconut oil will heal your cavity and prevent tooth decay and it is one effective ingredient for treating receding gums.
- Eucalyptus contains essential oils that have many health benefits. It is known fact that the essential oils from the herbs are stronger than the herb itself. That is very clear since we always use only a few drops of essential oils in many recipes. The essential oil from the eucalyptus can destroy germs and bacteria that live in your mouth. They will protect you from any oral diseases. It has many anti-inflammatory properties and they help in reducing the swelling in the gums. Remember to dilute the essential oil before you put it on your gums. It is really strong. Take 1 or 2 drops of eucalyptus essential oil and 1 or 2 tablespoons of water. Dilute the essential oil in the water and dip your toothbrush or your finger in the oil. Apply it on your gums and massage it gently. Wash your mouth with water. This will stimulate the growth of new gums and it will prevent receding gums.
- You can obtain resin from the Myrrh tree. That resin is used for curing and treating different gums and mouth diseases. It will stop the recession of the gums and it will prevent additional damages to the gums. Use powdered myrrh. If you have myrrh in the form of resin, make powder by crushing it. Combine it with water and mix until a paste is formed. Apply it on your gums and massage it well. It should last a few minutes and you can use a toothbrush to complete this method.
- One of the common uses of clove oil is preventing toothache. Many people are not familiar with the disinfectant properties of the clove. It can help you to destroy the germs and bacteria in your mouth and it will fight against any oral disease. It has anti-inflammatory properties as well and it can reduce the swelling of the gums. In order to fight periodontal disease you have to reduce inflammation. If you try and chew a clove you will experience a numbing effect. After every meal you can chew a clove. Remember that the clove oil should touch every side of your mouth. This will also destroy the bad breath. If you want you can try and use clove oil. Take 1 to 2 drops of clove oil and massage your gums. Do this method one to three times in a day. Precaution: in case of using a blood clotting medication, please consult your doctor before you do this method.
- Lemons are known for their antiseptic and antibacterial properties and it can stimulate the growth of receding gums. It will also destroy bad breath. Lemons are acidic and remember that too much can destroy the enamel on your teeth. Do not use lemon oil every day. It should be used only once a week. Apply little bit of lemon oil on your fingers and massage your gums for a couple of minutes. Do this method not more than 2 times in a week.
- Don’t forget that the following supplements may also help: Calcium, Vitamin C, Ginkgo Biloba, Zinc, and CoQ10.”
Also remember, it is better to prevent the problem than to have to cure it. Make sure not to brush too harshly, floss, clean your mouth after every meal, use mouthwash daily (you can use hydrogen peroxide as a mouthwash), drink a lot of water, eat all the fruits and vegetables that you want, reduce sugar, alcohol, caffeine and processed food…it might seem crazy but to be the in the best health you have to think through every choice you make. You are what you eat and this includes the health of your gums!