Today I was ready for a little detox and so I made my favorite Ginger Turmeric Detox Tea. The ingredients pack a powerful punch and act as an anti-inflammatory, anti-infective, antioxidant, lymph system cleanser and more.
- Ovarian Cancer Treatment: Ginger may be powerful weapon in the treatment of ovarian cancer. A study conducted at the University of Michigan Comprehensive Cancer Center found that ginger powder induces cell death in all ovarian cancer cells to which it was applied.
- Colon Cancer Prevention: A study at the University of Minnesota found that ginger may slow the growth of colorectal cancer cells.
- Morning Sickness: A review of several studies has concluded that ginger is just as effective as vitamin B6 in the treatment of morning sickness.
- Motion Sickness Remedy: Ginger has been shown to be an effective remedy for the nausea associated with motion sickness.
- Reduces Pain and Inflammation: One study showed that ginger has anti-inflammatory properties and is a powerful natural painkiller.
- Heartburn Relief: Ginger has long been used as a natural heartburn remedy. It is most often taken in the form of tea for this purpose.
- Cold and Flu Prevention and Treatment: Ginger has long been used as a natural treatment for colds and the flu. Many people also find ginger to be helpful in the case of stomach flus or food poisoning, which is not surprising given the positive effects ginger has upon the digestive tract.
- Migraine Relief: Research has shown that ginger may provide migraine relief due to its ability to stop prostaglandins from causing pain and inflammation in blood vessels.
- Menstrual Cramp Relief: In Chinese medicine, ginger tea with brown sugar is used in the treatment of menstrual cramps. (source)
- It is a natural antiseptic and antibacterial agent.
- When combined with cauliflower, it has shown to prevent prostate cancer and stop the growth of existing prostate cancer.
- Prevented breast cancer from spreading to the lungs in mice.
- May prevent melanoma and cause existing melanoma cells to commit suicide.
- Reduces the risk of childhood leukemia.
- Is a natural liver detoxifier.
- May prevent and slow the progression of Alzheimer’s disease by removing amyloyd plaque buildup in the brain.
- May prevent metastases from occurring in many different forms of cancer.
- It is a potent natural anti-inflammatory that works as well as many anti-inflammatory drugs but without the side effects.
- Has shown promise in slowing the progression of multiple sclerosis in mice.
- Is a natural painkiller and cox-2 inhibitor.
- May aid in fat metabolism and help in weight management.
- Has long been used in Chinese medicine as a treatment for depression.
- Because of its anti-inflammatory properties, it is a natural treatment for arthritis and rheumatoid arthritis.
- Has been shown to stop the growth of new blood vessels in tumors.
- Speeds up wound healing and assists in remodeling of damaged skin.
- May help in the TREATMENT OF PSORIASIS and other inflammatory skin conditions. (source)
- Anti-Cold & Flu Agent: When you have a cold or flu, cayenne pepper helps break up congested mucus and gets it moving. Once the mucus starts to leave your body, you will get some relief from many of the flu symptoms you may be experiencing.
- Anti-Fungal Properties: The results of one study indicated that cayenne pepper could effectively prevent the formation of the fungal pathogens.
- Migraine Headache Prevention: Many naturopaths have known of the health benefits of cayenne pepper, especially for migraine symptoms.
- Anti-Allergen: Cayenne is a wonderful anti-inflammatory agent and may even help relieve allergies.
- Digestive Aid: This spice is a well-known digestive aid. It stimulates the digestive tract, increasing the flow of enzyme production and gastric juices. This, in turn, aids the body’s ability to metabolize the food (and toxins) we take into the system. Cayenne pepper is also a wonderful medicinal herb for relieving intestinal gas. It stimulates intestinal peristaltic motion, aiding in both assimilation and elimination.
- Anti-Inflammatory Properties: Cayenne’s anti-inflammatory properties makes it a great herb for arthritis, diabetes, psoriasis and herpes-related nerve damage.
- Prevents & Treats Blood Clots: Cayenne pepper also helps reduce atherosclerosis, encourages fibrinolytic activity and prevents the formation of blood clots, all of which can help reduce the chances of a heart attack or stroke.
- Detox Support: Cayenne is a known circulatory stimulant. It also increases the pulse of our lymphatic and digestive rhythms.
- Possible Anti-Cancer Agent: Studies done at the Loma Linda University in California found that cayenne pepper can prevent lung cancer in smokers. Other studies have also shown a similar reaction in cayenne’s ability to inhibit liver tumors.
- Supports Weight Loss: Scientists at the Laval University in Quebec found that participants who took cayenne pepper for breakfast were found to have less appetite, leading to less caloric intake throughout the day. Cayenne is also a great metabolic-booster, aiding the body in burning excess amounts of fats.
- Improves Heart-Health: Cayenne helps to keep blood pressure levels normalized. It also rids the body of LDL cholesterol and triglycerides.
Ginger Turmeric Detox Tea Recipe
- 2 inch knob of ginger
- 2-3 inch piece of turmeric root or substitute 2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1-2 dashes of cayenne (or you could juice 1/2 a habanero or jalapeño pepper)
- 4 lemons (3 for juicing and 1 for slicing as a garnish)
- 3 droppers vanilla stevia
- 2 quarts water
In a juicer, juice your ginger root, turmeric, and 3 lemons. I recommend using Breville brand juicers. I love Breville because they are easy to use, easy to clean, and great quality!
In a large pitcher add your juice to about 2 quarts of water, a couple droppers of vanilla stevia to taste, a couple dashes of cayenne and your thinly cut lemon slices. Mix well with a wooden spoon and adjust flavors to taste. Let sit for about 10 mins before serving to let the flavors blend. Will last about 5 days in the fridge.
You can enjoy at room temperature or over ice. This tea is sweet, tangy and very spicy! Be ready, it’s got some serious kick!! But it always helps me “get back to normal” after travelling. I tend to get puffy and retain water when I travel and this tea helps flush out my lymphatic system and reduce swelling. I absolutely love it and I hope you do too!