How to get rid of dead skin on feet?There is a big chance that you have acquired dead skin on your feet because of various reasons but the number one reason for this is because of the lack of moisture on your feet. Of course there are still other reasons why you may have acquired dead skin on your feet such as the following:
Causes of Dead Skin on Your Feet
- Standing for long hours – When you constantly put pressure on your feet, there is a big chance that you will acquire more dead skin on your feet than usual.
- Harsh Soaps – Some soap products may contain chemicals that are bad for your feet. As a result, you will acquire more dead skin cells.
- Being Overweight – When your feet would have to carry more weight than it should, this can cause the acquisition of more dead skin.
- Improper Footwear – There will be instances when people tend not to wear the right footwear or for women, wearing high heels all the time can let them acquire more dead skin on their feet.
- Medical Conditions – Some medical conditions may cause the skin on the feet to become drier than usual.
There are always a lot of known ways on how you can get rid of the dry skin on your feet but if in case you would like to keep things natural; you may consider the natural home remedies that will allow you to get rid of dry skin on your feet now.
12 Home Remedies to Get Rid of Dead Skin on Feet
1. Warm Water
You may not realize this yet but warm water can help make the feet more relaxed especially if you would do it in the evening. This will also help loosen dead skin cells that may cause the feet to become drier than usual.
- Fill a bucket or a basin with warm water.
- Place your feet inside the bucket or basin for about 20 minutes.
- You may want to use a scrub to remove the dead skin cells.
- Dry your feet properly afterwards.
- Put lotion to moisturize the feet.
If in case you would like to remove dead skin cells on your feet while you are taking a bath, you know that the use of the scrub can make this effective. You would need to scrub away the dead skin cells with warm, soapy water.
- Use liquid soap and wash your feet with it.
- Use a pumice stone to scrub away the dead skin cells.
- Rinse off your feet on running water and pat dry with soft towel.
3. Paraffin Wax
Paraffin wax is known to soften the skin and retain the moisture. It also helps to lessen the accumulated of dry dead skin.
- Heat some paraffin wax using a double boiler or microwave.
- Add some coconut oil into it and stir well.
- Apply the mixture on the feet. It can be a little hot while applying but you will get adjusted to it.
- Wear a pair of sock on it and Leave it on overnight.
- Using a soft brush scrub the application and rinse off with lukewarm water.
This is one of the things that dermatologists may use before doing some treatments for the skin so it is not a surprise that this is also another thing that can be used on the feet in order to make the feet softer than ever.
- Mix glycerin with lemon juice.
- Apply directly on the feet.
- Leave on the feet for about 20 minutes before washing off with water.
- This would need to be done for a couple of weeks.
5. Epsom Salt
Epsom salt contains magnesium which helps to get rid of toxins from the feet. It is also known to improve the blood circulation in the feet.
- Soak your feet in lukewarm water.
- Use a softening soap or washrag to clean your feet (space in between toes, around ankle and bottom of the feet).
- Pat dry and examine the feet to notice the areas that require scrubbing.
- Fill up the basin with lukewarm water.
- Add some Epsom salt (one or two handful should be fine) in to it.
- Soak your feet until the water gets cool.
- Remove the feet from water and place them in a soft towel.
- Let it dry for 10 minutes and then scrub the feet to remove the dead skin.
- Soak the feet again in lukewarm water for 10 minutes.
- Remove and pat the skin dry.
- Apply some moisturizer and wear socks to let the feet absorb the oils.
- Repeat 3 times a week.
6. Mentholated Rub
It has been said that making use of the mentholated rub can be very effective in getting rid of dry and cracked feet. It contains a lot of natural essential oils which can be good for the skin. If in case you also have some problems with fungus, this can also be effective.
- Make sure that your feet are clean and dry.
- Apply the mentholated rub on your feet.
- Put on a pair of socks and leave on overnight.
- In the morning, wash with warm water.
- This would have to be done until you get desired results.
The acidic nature present in the lemons which soften the accumulated dead skin cells. They make the skin soft and vibrant.
- Fill a bucket with lukewarm water.
- Add some lemon juice in it.
- Soak your feet in this mixture for 15 minutes.
- Use a foot brush or pumice stone and scrub your feet.
- Rinse off with water and pat the skin dry.
- Apply any moisturize of your choice.
- Note: You may want to wait until any cuts or trauma has healed before trying this.
This process should be done before going to bed.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of Vaseline and juice of 1 lemon.
- Wash your feet with soapy water and pat the skin dry.
- Apply the mixture on the dry areas and heels on your feet.
- Wear a pair of dry socks. This helps to lock the moisture and prevent your bed sheets from staining.
- Next morning, exfoliate your feet.
- Repeat regularly.
If you would like to remove dead skin cells, the use of vinegar can be very effective. This can make the dead skin softer around the feet and as a result, you will have smoother skin on your feet.
- Mix vinegar with water and soak your feet in the solution for about 15 minutes.
- Use a foot scrubber so that you can remove the dead skin cells.
- Wash your feet and pat dry.
- Place petroleum jelly on your feet afterwards.
If you would like to treat your dry feet to an effective remedy, you know that oatmeal is the right remedy for you. You can make a foot scrub made well with oatmeal so that you can effectively remove dead skin cells and at the same time, you can also keep the skin on your feet moisturized properly.
- You would need to mix oatmeal with rose water or even milk if you please.
- You may have to leave the oatmeal on the feet for about 30 minutes first before you start scrubbing.
- Place the paste on the lower portion of your feet and scrub.
- You can use a foot brush in order to scrub more effectively.
- Rinse off with cold water.
- Pat dry your feet.
- In order to make this more effective, do this every other day.
10. Overripe Banana
Remember that when using banana, you would have to choose an overripe one. You can blend them into paste and apply on your cracked feet so that you can moisturize your skin effectively.
- Blend the overripe banana so that you can form a thick paste.
- You may choose to add an avocado if you want it to be more effective.
- Apply this paste on your feet for about 10 – 15 minutes.
- Make sure that you will lukewarm and cold water to rinse.
- Follow this remedy every day.
11. Baking Soda
- Combine 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda with enough rose water.
- Rub the mixture on the feet for few minutes.
- Leave it on for 15 minutes and rinse off with water.
- Pat dry and apply moisturizer.
- Repeat regularly.
In this process milk softens the skin and baking soda removes dry and rough patches.
- Take enough amounts of milk (2 – 4 cups) according to the feet.
- Boil milk until lukewarm.
- Pour it in bowl meant for soaking feet.
- Soak your feet for 5 minutes.
- Now add baking soda into milk and stir well with feet.
- Massage plenty of the mixture on the feet especially beneath the toes, ankles and other dry areas. You can use hands to massage.
- After 5 minutes, rinse your feet with warm water and pat dry.
- Repeat regularly.
Honey locks the moisture in the skill cells, exfoliates the dead skin and softens the skin.
- Fill a basin or bucket with lukewarm water.
- Add enough amount of honey into it.
- Soak for 20 minutes and wash with water.
- Pat dry and moisturize.
- Repeat 3 times a week.
- Combine 1 – 2 tablespoons of raw honey, 1 tablespoon of rice flour, 1 tablespoon of olive oil and 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar.
- Apply this mixture over the feet.
- Leave it on for 15 minutes.
- Rinse off with water and pat dry.
- Apply any moisturizer of your choice.
If you would like to have smoother and more moisturized skin, you can do the things mentioned above.