Sinus Infection, which is medically termed as sinusitis is a medical condition which is caused due to the inflammation and swelling of sinuses. This situation blocks the sinuses with fluid on which the bacteria grow and that often brings nasal congestion and pain. The person who suffers from sinus infection feels pressure around the face, nose and eyes. He/she also gets headache, nasal congestion, thick yellow discharge from the nose and sometimes even fever or cough.
There are many medicines available in the market for sinus infection but many of them do not act properly to cure the infection and also sometimes cause side effects. So to avoid these and to treat this sinus infection effectively, you can use the home remedies in which the main ingredient is apple cider vinegar.
Does Apple Cider Vinegar Really Treat Sinus Infection
Before going for the apple cider home remedies for sinus infection, let’s find out what are the main properties of apple cider vinegar that make it an effective ingredient to treat sinus infection.
Clears up the Sinus Cavities: Apple Cider Vinegar contains a lot of vitamins like Vitamin E, A, B1, B2, calcium and magnesium, which help to clean up the sinus cavities and treat the symptoms of sinus infection.
Thins the Mucous: Another good thing about apple cider vinegar is that it thins out the mucous, which creates congestion in the nasal cavity. The high pH level of the apple cider vinegar breaks up the mucus and clears the airways. So its use gives a lot of relief to the suffering person.
Prevents Bacteria Growth: The acidic content of apple cider vinegar checks the bacteria from growing further, thus its use prevents the infection to become more severe.
How to Use Apple Cider Vinegar for Sinus Infection
There are various ways you can prepare the apple cider vinegar remedies for sinus infection. You can prepare the remedies by taking only apple cider vinegar and water as well as mixing it with some other ingredients to make the remedies work more effectively to treat sinus infection.
Let’s learn to prepare the apple cider vinegar remedies to get rid of the painful and irritating sinus infection!
1. Direct Consumption of Apple Cider Vinegar
This is perhaps one of the simplest, yet effective apple cider vinegar remedies for sinus infection.
- Apple Cider Vinegar – 1 tbsp
- Take 1 tbsp of apple cider vinegar daily 3 times to get rid of sinus infection.
- The regular consumption of apple cider vinegar will not only cure the sinus infection but will also prevent it from occurring again.
Note: If you are breastfeeding or pregnant, then avoid taking apple cider vinegar orally as it may harm your baby.
2. Apple Cider Vinegar Drink
This is also another effective remedy for sinus infection. The regular intake of this remedy will help you to get rid of sinus infection for sure.
- Organic Raw ACV – 2 tbsp
- Water – 8 ounces
- Take 8 ounces of water in a glass and add the apple cider vinegar to it.
- Stir it properly and drink it immediately.
- Take this remedy regularly to keep sinus infection at bay.
- You can also mix 1/8 to 1/4 a cup of vinegar to 16 ounces of water and take this ACV liquid throughout the day to get rid of sinus infection.
Note: You can also use this ACV mix to gargle to get relief from pain in the throat area.
3. Apple Cider Vinegar Steam
Apple cider vinegar steam method provides a lot of relief to the person who is suffering from sinus infection by clearing the nasal passage. And at the same time, the antibacterial and antifungal properties of apple cider vinegar will also kill the infection-causing bacteria in the sinus cavities. This method provides a safe, natural and effective cure for sinus infection.
- Water – ½ cup
- Apple Cider Vinegar – ½ cup
- A Towel
- A Saucepan
- Take apple cider vinegar and water in a saucepan and stir properly.
- Heat the mixture on the stove for few minutes.
- Drape a towel over your neck and head.
- Keep the face over the steaming pan and breathe the steam.
- Follow this method many times a day for few days to completely cure sinus infection and its associated symptoms.
4. Apple Cider Vinegar and Honey Drink
When the properties of honey and apple cider vinegar combined together, it makes an amazing remedy for sinus infection.
The antibacterial property of honey kills the bacteria that cause sinus infection. Its use also soothes the irritation in the throat area. Its anti-inflammatory properties reduce the inflammation in the throat. Also, its consumption strengthens the immunity system and makes the body strong enough to fight any type of infection.
- Apple Cider Vinegar – 2 tbsp
- Honey – 1 tbsp
- Warm Water – 8oz
- In a glass, take the warm water and add the apple cider vinegar and honey.
- Stir both the ingredients well and drink.
- Use this remedy regularly to get relief from the pain of sinus infection.
5. Apple Cider Vinegar Decongestant
This decongestant will work effectively to treat the sinusitis by clearing the extra mucus from the chest. Apart from that it will also treat other sinusitis symptoms like breathing problem. To prepare this decongestant, along with apple cider vinegar we also need some other ingredients like cayenne pepper, honey, lemon juice and ginger.
Cayenne pepper contains an active component called capsaicin, which helps to clear the nasal congestion that occurs due to sinus infection. It also reduces the inflammation that narrows the nasal passage.
Loaded with antibacterial properties, honey kills the bacteria that cause sinus infection. So its use not only treats sinus infection but also controls it to become severe.
Containing a lot of immune boosting antioxidant called Vitamin C, lemon juice can help you fight the sinus infection in a better way.
Ginger contains many antibacterial as well as anti-inflammatory properties like zingiberene, gingerol, and shogoal, which altogether work to treat sinus infection.
- Apple Cider Vinegar – ¼ cup
- Cayenne Pepper – ½ tsp
- Powdered Ginger – ½ tsp
- Organic Honey – 3 tbsp
- Lemon Juice – ¼ cup
- In a pot, take the apple cider vinegar and the lemon juice, and mix thoroughly.
- Now simmer this mixture in a low flame for few seconds.
- Add the honey, cayenne pepper and powdered ginger to the mixture, and stir well to mix all the ingredients properly.
- Store this mixture in a jar and keep in a dark cool place.
- Whenever you get affected by sinus infection, take 1 to 2 tbsp of this mixture to get immediate relief from it.
Note: You can also add a pinch of turmeric powder to it to make it more effective as turmeric is loaded with antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties.
6. Apple Cider Vinegar Nasal Spray
This ACV spray will give you instant relief from the nasal congestion by thinning the blocked mucus.
- Apple Cider Vinegar – 5 to 6 drops
- Distilled Water – 1 tbsp
- An Empty Nasal Sprayer
- Mix the apple cider vinegar in the distilled water properly.
- Pour this mixed water to the nasal sprayer.
- Now sniff this ACV mixed water to the infected nostril.
- Use this remedy at least thrice a day to get rid of sinus infection.
- This remedy will improve your condition within 24 hours.
7. Apple Cider Vinegar Rinse
This method will give you relief by cleaning the sinus cavity. The antifungal, antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties of apple cider vinegar will treat the sinus infection in a better way.
- Apple Cider Vinegar – 2 tbsp
- Warm Water – 1 cup
- Mix both the ACV and water well.
- Take 1 tbsp of this ACV in your palm.
- Press one nostril with your finger and with another nostril snort up the ACV mix in one go.
- Tilt your head back so that the solution will run down the back of the nose to the throat. You can swallow this ACV mix or spit it out.
- Follow the same procedure with the other nostril.
- Following this process twice a day will definitely give results against sinus infection.
Note: Always use raw, unpasteurized apple cider vinegar as it contains the nutrient called “mother” for preparing all these ACV home remedies for sinus infection.
Tips to Follow
You can very well use these ACV home remedies to get rid of sinus infection and its related symptoms, such as coughing, sneezing, sore throat, fatigue but you can prevent this condition to occur again as well as lessen its effects by following certain tips that are mentioned below.
- Drink plenty of water if you are suffering from sinus infection frequently. Water can wash the bacterial and fungal built up in the throat. It will also dilute the mucous.
- Increase the intake of foods that are rich in Vitamin A to build a strong immune system to fight against sinus infection.
- Stop taking alcohol if you are suffering from sinus infection as alcohol promotes the swelling of nasal passages and mucous membranes.
- Keep your nose moist by using saline sprays frequently.
- Take ample amount of rest for the speedy recovery from sinus infection.
- Take warm compress throughout the day. Place a warm washcloth on your face covering your nose and eyes. It will thin out the mucous and clear nasal congestion. It will also lessen the pain, headache and facial soreness that are caused due to sinus infection.
- Avoid taking caffeinated drinks which often cause dehydration. It is considered as one of the main causes of sinus infection.
- Avoid taking chilled items, such as ice creams, chilled drinks.
- Avoid taking dairy products as the consumption of these cause phlegm.
Use these effective home remedies to get rid of sinus infection for sure. But after using all these apple cider vinegar home remedies, if your condition does not improve then it is advisable to consult a doctor. Also if you are under medication or pregnant or breast feeding, then always consult a doctor before using these apple cider vinegar remedies for sinus infection.
In a saucepan, pour the water and mix it with apple cider vinegar. Heat them for a few minutes. Then, put a towel over the head and inhale the steam of the mixture. Repeat this procedure several times during the day in order to treat and successfully cure the sinus infection. Apple cider vinegar, due to its strong anti-fungal properties, will destroy bacteria and prevent the reoccurrence of the infection.
Featured image source: www.gohealthtips.com