You may be familiar with Oregano because it is one of the herbs that you commonly use in your kitchen. You use it in order to flavor your meat and you may even include it in some of your pasta dishes. It can make a lot of dishes taste better because of its distinct taste. Do you realize that this widely used herb can have other uses that are not related to food? That is right, oregano in oil form can give you a lot of benefits.
How Oregano Essential Oil is Acquired
The oil of oregano is acquired from its leaves and the flowers of the Oregano plant. This is mainly a part of the mint family but it is known for having a distinct taste and smell. While this originally started to grow in Europe, it is now being grown in various parts of the world.
Ever since the beginning of time Oregano has already been used. Ancient people used it for medicinal purposes and up to now, these medicinal purposes are still applicable. While all types of oregano can have oil extracted from them, only certain varieties actually have some benefits. As long as the oregano comes from the variety Oreganum Vulgare. If you do not see any from that variety, it is best to look for other types.
In order to get Oregano essential oil, the leaves go through the process of steam distillation. The oregano leaves that are used should be fresh. Once enough oil is acquired, they may be placed in different containers so they can be sold. The ones that you will see in the grocery store may not be the type of Oregano essential oil that you are searching for. You may have to look for the right type in specialty stores.
The Benefits and Uses of Oregano Essential Oil
Now that you have learned some facts about Oregano essential oil and how the right type of oil can be acquired, you can now get to know the many benefits and uses that you can get from it such as the following:
- Oregano essential oil can help in protecting you against different organisms found in the environment
You may not realize it but you are always exposed to different organisms that may cause some problems in the long run. For example, if you have a love for anything raw, there is a possibility that you will be exposed to some organisms that may harm you. You can get rid of these organisms by taking Oregano oil.
- Look for oregano oil in supplements or capsule form
- It is best to consult your doctor about the mg of oregano oil present through supplements or capsules.
- Take the supplements when you have to.
- Oregano essential oil can help women get rid of stomach cramps during menstruation
Irregular, uncomfortable periods and negative menopause effects are a big problem for many women; one of the best natural remedies is oregano oil. It may actually help support regular menstruation and protect against negative menopause experiences. For women, this is a substantial bonus to the already lengthy list of uses and effects of oregano oil.
- Oregano essential oil can be good for digestion too
I’ve said it a million times, health begins in the gut! Good digestion is absolutely required to experience good health. While I recommend using an oxygen-based colon cleanser periodically to clean out your digestive tract, stopping the build up in the first place also needs to be part of the plan, and oregano oil can help. Oregano oil is known to stimulate the flow of bile into the digestive organs, enhancing the digestive process.
- Oregano essential oil can help you whenever you are suffering from allergies
There is a big possibility that you usually suffer from allergies because of the different things that you are exposed to. For example, you may suffer from allergies whenever you eat seafood. You may also get allergies whenever you inhale dust. Oregano can be highly effective in soothing the different symptoms that you may feel. This can be a good alternative if you do not want to take anti histamine medications but you want to improve your current condition.
- Oregano essential oil can even aid in helping you lose weight
In addition to its reputation as a natural immune booster, oregano oil also packs a punch against unwanted body fat. Its main active ingredient, carvacrol, is thought to modulate genes and reduce irritation in white adipose tissue. In one study, when fed a high-fat diet, mice not given carvacrol quickly became obese. In contrast, mice given carvacrol gained significantly less weight and even had lower levels of cholesterol and triglycerides in their blood.
- Oregano essential oil can prevent you from acquiring colds or flu
You have to remember that oregano oil is not a cure for colds or flu but if you feel that you are about to get colds, you may want to stop it from happening by using oregano oil.
- You may take supplements or capsules that contain oregano oil
- If you do not have any supplements, you can place a few drops of oregano oil on an empty capsule.
- Take the oregano oil for about 2 – 3 times every day until you start to feel better.
- Using Oregano can help get rid of some aches and pains
What can stop you from doing all the things that you want? Whenever you experience pain, you have the tendency to just take a step back and just rest. Pain can hinder you from finishing your tasks and from doing the rest of your work. In order to get rid of the discomfort, you can make use of Oregano oil and apply it topically on your skin.
- Mix oregano oil with olive oil.
- Place the essential oil mixture on affected parts of your body especially on parts where you are particularly feeling pain.
- Massage for a few minutes.
- You may choose to wash it off or just let it stay on your skin.
- Oregano essential oil can be effective in combating aging
If there is one thing that is considered to be popular now, it is to age as gracefully as possible. A lot of people are trying their best not to age even though they know that it is inevitable. Do you normally go to your dermatologist to get some treatments on your skin? Perhaps the use of oregano can also help. Oregano contains a lot of antioxidants that can help get rid of the toxins found on the skin. As toxins are removed, the skin stays younger, longer.
- Oregano essential oil can help get rid of different types of parasites that may be found on your body
There are different types of parasites that may live in and out of your body. You do not want parasites to make you their host and you can get rid of them with the use of oregano oil. You need to ingest oregano oil to get rid of intestinal worms. If in case the parasites that you are dealing with is outside, you can apply it topically.
- Mix oregano oil with your choice of essential oil.
- Rub on the affected area of your skin gently.
- You may have to do this more than once a day.
- Oregano essential oil can help get rid of some bugs
This is not really something that can benefit your body but this can benefit your health in the long run. You are aware that mosquitoes and other flying insects are disease carriers. When you become bitten by mosquitoes, you may get some health conditions that are hard to cure like Dengue Fever and even the newly dreaded Zika Virus. Adding oregano oil with some water can already be an effective organic bug spray.
- Mix oregano oil and another essential oil of your choice with water.
- Place in a spray bottle.
- Spray in places wherein you suspect that different bugs may reside.
- Oregano essential oil can help get rid of UTI (Urinary Tract Infection)
There are some people who get UTI often because it is in their genes while others only get it once in every few years or so. Basically, you will know if you have UTI if you are having trouble peeing and if you are feeling pain on your lower abdominal area. There are different home remedies that can get rid of UTI and oregano oil is one them.
- You need to use dried oregano for this one to make oregano tea.
- Place a teaspoon of that in a cup of hot water.
- Let it steep for a few minutes.
- You can remove the dried oregano after 10 minutes.
- Drink the tea while it is still warm.
- You can do this twice a day.
- Oregano essential oil can help get rid of fungal infections
There are different types of infections that oregano can cure and fungal infection is just one of them. It can be effective in getting rid of athlete’s foot and even candida. If you are suffering from a fungi nail problem, the use of oregano oil can be effective as well.
- You can apply oregano oil topically on the affected area of the skin.
- Just make sure that you will mix it with another essential oil first to make it more potent.
- Do this 2 – 3 times a day until you begin to see the difference.
- Oregano essential oil can help cure you from amoebas
There are people who experience symptoms of amoebiasis usually when they are exposed to contaminated food and water. There are some reports that state that oregano oil can be even more potent than some of the antibiotics that you may find. Aside from amoeba giardia, there are other food borne illnesses that may be avoided because of oregano essential oil.
- Oregano essential oil can also help get rid of certain skin conditions
There are some people who have are suffering from various skin conditions like acne and rosacea. There are some medications that can be used to help get rid of the symptoms of these conditions but if you want home remedies, using oil of oregano will help a lot. Just remember that you need to dilute oregano oil first before you place it directly on the affected area of the skin. If it is too strong, you may end up making your skin more irritated.
Precautions in Using Oregano Oil
Oregano essential oil comes with a lot of benefits but remember that if you would place too much, you are increasing the chances of your skin being irritated because of the different components that can be found in oregano oil. Here are some other things you ought to remember:
- You are not recommended to take Oregano oil in any form if you are pregnant or nursing. There is a possibility that oregano oil can lead to self induced labor.
- Before including oregano oil as part of your diet, it is best if you would consult your doctor about it.
- There are some people who may be allergic to oregano oil. Double check if you are allergic to it first before you can use it.
Other Essential Oils to Blend with Oregano Oil
If you are going to use oregano essential oil topically, it will help if you can blend it with other essential oils to lessen the chance that you will get some allergies because of it. At the same time, mixing it with other oils will make it work better. Other oils you can mix it with are the following:
There are still a lot more that you can use with oregano oil depending on the benefits that you would like to get.
With all of the details that you have learned about oregano essential oil, are you ready to include it in your diet? Remember to consult your doctor about it first to be sure. Once you have been given the go signal, then you can start consuming oregano oil and reap its benefits.
Supplementing with Oregano
Oregano oil is an absolute must-have item for any medicine cabinet or emergency kit. The array of benefits it offers makes it one of the best all-around supplements you can get. Remember, as with any health product, quality matters tremendously.
- Proven Essential Oils for Snoring
- 7 Essential Oils to Soothe Your Bug Bites Fast
- 50 Little-Known Uses for Essential Oils for Your Lungs, Skin, Sleep and MORE
- How You Can Use Essential Oils to Kill Infectious Bacteria Instead of Taking Antibiotics
- The Truth About Cancer and Essential Oils: What NO Oncologist Will Tell You
If you enjoyed this article or learned something new, please don’t forget to share it with others so they have a chance to enjoy this free information. This article is open source and free to reblog or use if you give a direct link back to the original article URL. Thanks for taking the time to support an open source initiative. We believe all information should be free and available to everyone. Have a good day and we hope to see you soon!