As someone who goes hiking every other day after working, there are three key things I need to be wary of. First, keeping hydrated. Second, keeping my skin moisturized and protected from harmful UV rays. Lastly, I need to make sure I give my body adequate rest and allow it to heal. Fairly straightforward right?
Now what if you could make something that could moisturize your skin and soothe aching muscles at the same time? Here’s my secret: magnesium lotion.
What is Magnesium?
Magnesium is one of the body’s most essential minerals. Every cell in your body needs magnesium. In fact, over 300 chemical reactions in the body make use of magnesium. The many benefits of magnesium include:
- Maintains healthy bones
- Keeps energy levels balanced
- Promotes healing and soothing of inflammation and other injuries
- Helps in the absorption of vitamin D from the sun
- Promotes circulation
- Can lower your risk of diabetes
There’s no doubt that this mineral is important. But the average American diet doesn’t give your body enough magnesium. The average adult only gets about 66% of their Daily Value of magnesium. Read this article to find out some of the most common signs of magnesium deficiency.
So how do we get enough magnesium? There’s one way to supplement your body with magnesium that you may not have thought of: topically.
Did you know you can absorb nutrients and mineral through your skin? If you’ve ever heard of nicotine patches to help people quit smoking, it’s the same idea. Applying magnesium topically is a great way to reap the benefits of this mineral.
A study by Dr. Norman Shealy of the American Holistic Medical Association had participants use magnesium flake foot soaks and topically applied magnesium oil daily. It was found that after four weeks, 75% of participants displayed a significant increase in their body’s magnesium levels.
Instead of a store-bought moisturizer, try this natural moisturizing body butter instead. Not only does it moisturize and soothe muscles, it also acts as a more natural form of sunblock too! Shea butter and avocado oil have a natural SPF ranging from 4 – 10.
Homemade Moisturizing Magnesium Body Butter
- ½ cup magnesium flakes
- 3 tablespoons boiling water
Magnesium Body Butter
- ½ cup magnesium oil (see above)
- ¼ cup avocado oil (alternatively, you can use sweet almond oil or unrefined coconut oil)
- 2 tablespoons emulsifying wax
- 3 tablespoons shea butter
- Add boiling water and magnesium flakes to a container and stir to dissolve. Let it cool before continuing.
Magnesium Body Butter
- Using a small pot, fill it to about a ¼ with water and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to a simmer and fit a pyrex bowl (or a stainless steel mixing bowl) on top to make a double-boiler. Make sure that the bowl is not reaching the water.
- Add all ingredients except for the magnesium oil to the bowl and let them melt together. Remove the bowl from heat and let cool to room temperature.
- Using a hand blender, blend your mixture and slowly incorporate the magnesium oil.
- When well-mixed, cool in the fridge for 15 minutes. Blend again and now it’s ready!
Your magnesium body butter should keep for up to two months. For best results, store in the fridge for cooling relief.
The Paleo Diet new secret cookbook is the healthiest way you can eat to stay lean, strong, energetic and to minimize the possibilities of such diseases as obesity, cancer, diabetes, heart disease, Parkinson's, Alzheimer's, infertility, depression.
It's based on our ancestors paleolithic way of eating with meat, fish ,vegetables, eggs, fruits, nuts, seeds, herbs, spices, healthy fats and oils. A Paleo diet can save your life. It's fit for everybody and everywhere.
World renowned, most respected in Paleo community Le Cordon Bleu chef Peter Servold has written this incredibly new Recipe book "Paleo Eats Cookbook", available to be shipped right to your door for FREE. - All you have to do is just cover a small shipping cost.
It's recipes are simple, easy to make, nutritious, delicious also fit for lifestyles on the go.
Jump in line on the Paleo community bandwagon. Get your FREE copy of Paleo Eats Here. (Grab this today, because we only ordered a small batch of these cookbooks for this freebie promotion, and they will sell out FAST!) Bon Appetit.
- 9 Signs You Have a Magnesium Deficiency
- The Best and Worst Forms of Magnesium To Take As Supplements
- 32 Signs You Immediately Need More Magnesium (and how to get it)
- Take This Much Magnesium This Many Times a Day to Avoid Leg CRAMPS At Night
- How to Get Rid of Stretch Marks Fast With These 9 Natural Remedies - January 23, 2017
- Homemade Bread Recipes: You’ll Never Buy Bread Again - January 23, 2017
- Cinnamon and honey fights off colds, flu, acne, weight loss and more - January 23, 2017